Wet, tender chicken cooked in a tasty Thai spicy peanut sauce, served in rice bowls with a fried egg and lots of fresh herbs.
A while ago I made some bowls with sweet chili rice and I was led to believe that the bowls with spicy peanuts would also be very tasty. I wanted to keep things relatively simple, so I smothered and shredded the chicken in my favorite Thai hot peanut sauce all day before using it in the rice bowl, along with the sauce it was cooked in. The rest of the rice bowls consist of boiled rice, a fried egg, steamed spinach, fresh herbs, and crispy fried shallots, making the food light and tasty in a tasty bowl. If you have a rice cooker, you can make it easy by setting it to cook the rice when the chicken is ready and then all that’s left is frying the eggs and steaming the spinach.
Tip: Make a double batch of hot peanut sauce and cook some more chicken to use in some tasty chicken and peanut butter quesadillas.
Spicy Peanut Chicken Rice Bowl
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 8 hours Total Time: 8 hours 10 minutes Servings: 4
Moist and tender chicken braised in a tasty Thai style spicy peanut sauce served in rice bowls with a fried egg and plenty of fresh herbs.
- 1 cup Thai spicy peanut sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 4 eggs, fried or poached
- 1 cup coarsely chopped and steamed spinach
- 1/4 cup peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- cilantro to taste, torn
- mint to taste, torn
- birds eye chilies to taste, sliced
- 1/4 cup crispy fried shallots
- basil to taste, torn
- Mix the peanut sauce and coconut milk and place it in the slow cooker along with the chicken and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from liquid and shred.
- Assemble the rice bowl, mix, and enjoy!