Spaghetti Squash Casserole with Sausage is a healthy, low carb dinner that is deliciously satisfying. This quick and easy dinner recipe will be a crowd-pleaser too!
THE SIMPLEST WAY TO MAKE SPAGHETTI
I love spaghetti. It is full of fiber and is a perfect vehicle for a rich and abundant sauce and melted cheese. Spaghetti squash is one of my favorite ingredients for healthy dinners this week. But roasting pumpkin spaghetti takes a lot of time. How can I make pumpkin spaghetti fast enough for a weekday dinner?
The answer: in the microwave. Although the microwave has a bad reputation, it does some things right – and cooking pumpkin spaghetti is one of them.
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN SPAGHETTI IN THE MICROWAVE
Cut the spaghetti pumpkin lengthwise and remove the seeds.
Cut the spaghetti pumpkin in half without seeds before cooking.
- Place the cut side down on a plate or microwaveable dish. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until easily pierced by a knife.
A spaghetti pumpkin cut in half after cooking, showing a fork that crumbles it into “noodles”.
- When it is cool enough to handle, use a fork to crush the pumpkin into “noodles”.
The cooked spaghetti pumpkin drains through a strainer, lined with paper towels.
- Wrap the spaghetti pumpkin in a cloth or paper towel. Squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible from the spaghetti squash.
Spaghetti squash can now be used in many different recipes. Today we make this spaghetti dish with sausages. It is a recipe for a quick and healthy dinner. That’s why I like being able to prepare the spaghetti squash so quickly.
HOW TO MAKE A POT OF SPAGHETTI WITH SAUSAGES.
Prepare the sauce. Sauté the onions in olive oil. Add the sausage and cook it until it browns. Drain the excess fat. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the tomato sauce, salt, pepper and oregano. Stir to mix. Lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Spaghetti sauce with sausage and spaghetti pumpkin cooked in a pan.
- Remove one cup of sauce, and set aside. Add the spaghetti pumpkin to the rest of the sauce and stir to mix well.
- Transfer the spaghetti and pumpkin mixture to a saucepan.
- Garnish the pumpkin and spaghetti mixture with the remaining sauce.
- Cover with cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Finish under the grill for 1-2 minutes so that the cheese browns lightly if desired.
Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Prep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 25 minutes Servings: 8 Servings Calories: 389kcal
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 8 ounces whole milk mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut spaghetti Squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds. Place cut side down on a microwave safe dish. Microwave for 12-15 minutes, or until flesh is easy pierced with a knife.
- When cool enough to handle, use a fork to shred the spaghetti squash into noodle shapes.
- Wrap spaghetti squash flesh in a towel, squeeze out as much excess moisture as possible. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- When hot, add onions. Saute until starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add sausage and cook until browned. Drain excess fat.
- Stir in garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add tomato sauce, salt, pepper and oregano. Stir to combine. Turn heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove about 1 cup of sauce from pan, set aside.
- Add spaghetti squash and stir to mix into the sauce.
- Transfer spaghetti squash mixture to a large casserole pan.
- Top with the reserved sauce, then top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Finish under broiler for 1-2 minutes to get cheese a little browned if desired.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 17g |
Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 745mg | Potassium: 612mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 550IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 223mg | Iron: 3mg