The classic roast of meat and meat sauce is made even easier in a slow cooker!
Roast beef is a classic that is always welcome and super easy to make, especially in a slow cooker. Just throw the meat into a crockpot and simmer it all day long. I like to season the meat with salt and pepper along with onions, garlic, rosemary, and thyme and it is easy to change the seasonings to taste. If you want you can brown the meat in a pan (over medium-high heat) and sauté the onions and garlic before adding them to the slow stove to add a little more flavor, but just throwing all this away works too! The sauce is the key and it only takes a few minutes to make it in a pan on the stove after the roast is done. I like to serve the roast and sauce over the mashed potatoes (or cauliflower puree) along with a vegetable for a full meal.
This is a pantry meal if you have a roast in the freezer and onions in the pantry along with a frozen or canned vegetable.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 8 hours Total Time: 8 hours 10 minutes Servings: 8
Classic beef pot roast and gravy made even easier in a slow cooker!
- 1 (4 pounds) beef roast (such as chuck, the eye of round, etc.)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons flour (rice flour for gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, coarsely ground
- salt to taste
- Season the roast with salt and pepper to taste, place it in the slow cooker, top with the onions, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and broth, and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove the roast from the slow cooker and set aside.
- Skim 4 tablespoons of the fat from the juices in the slow cooker and heat it in a saucepan over medium heat, sprinkle in the flour, and cook until lightly golden brown, add the remaining liquid from the slow cooker along with the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper and simmer until it thickens, about 2 minutes before seasoning with salt to taste.
- Slice the beef and serve topped with the gravy.
Option: Brown the beef on all sides before adding it to the slow cooker.
Option: Saute the onions and garlic before adding to the slow cooker.
Tip: Cook for about 7-8 hours on low for a roast that is somewhat slice-able or 9-10 hours for a roast that is just falling apart tender!
Option: Add 2 pounds cubed potatoes.
Option: Add 2 pounds sliced carrots.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce or fish sauce to the gravy.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 463, Fat 27g (Saturated 10g, Trans 0), Cholesterol 166mg, Sodium 199mg, Carbs 4g (Fiber 0.5g, Sugars 1g), Protein 47g