These slow-cooking pork tacos allow your slow cooker to do most of the work. Crispy red cabbage, tender pork and a juicy mint and pineapple sauce create a tasty taco.
You know, I’ve learned something about you. You love tacos. Like, you really, really like tacos. Maybe you like tacos. Maybe you should turn tacos into the chocolate fondue and ask them to be your Valentine’s Day gift. The reason I know you like tacos is that a few months ago I wrote an article about shrimp and lime tacos. It was a pretty unusual decision to share them in the first place. One night, I felt like having some tacos and I made up the recipe based on what I had at home. But, uh… The shrimp tacos with chili and lime were a hit. The most popular recipe to date in this place. So you know I’m going to give people what they want, and what they want is more tacos.
I recently shared a recipe for the easiest slow-cooking pork, and that’s what gave me the idea for these slow-cooking pork tacos. What could be easier than letting the slow cooker do the work for you and then making these pork tacos in about 15 minutes after the pork is cooked? Once you’ve simmered your pork and shredded it, you’re ready to make these tacos. I’ve already mentioned that you can freeze the pork, so if you do, thaw it and you’re ready to go. I put the shredded pork under the grill for about 5 minutes to warm it up and make it a little crispy. Don’t leave it too long or it will dry out.
A MINT AND PINEAPPLE CITRUS SAUCE WAS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED.
Since pork is so rich, I wanted something to brighten it up and reduce the oil a little. A mint and pineapple citrus sauce were exactly what I needed. I chose mint because I don’t like coriander, and it worked well. The fresh taste of mint goes very well with pork and pineapple. Fresh pineapple chunks, lime juice, shallot, and mint are all you need for this easy sauce. You can add jalapeño if you want to make it a little spicier, but it is optional.
I also added purple cabbage to crunch it, and I like the bright purple color with yellow pineapple, spearmint, and red sauce – so colorful, it’s like a party! Try not to eat ten of them.
Slow Cooker Pork Tacos with Pineapple Mint Salsa
Course: Dinners, Sandwiches/Burgers/Tacos Cuisine: Mexican / Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes Servings: 8 Servings
For The Tacos:
- 3 cups Shredded Slow Cooker Pork
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- red salsa
- Pineapple Mint Salsa see below
For The Pineapple Mint Salsa:
- 2 cups fresh cut pineapple diced
- 1/2 shallot finely minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- juice of half a lime
- 1 jalapeno finely minced (optional)
- After the pork is cooked, place enough for tacos on a foil-lined baking sheet and place under the broiler for about 5 minutes, until starting to get brown and crispy. Watch carefully to avoid burning.
- Place all ingredients for pineapple mint salsa in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Heat tortillas by spraying both sides with cooking spray and warming over medium heat in a skillet until starting to brown.
- Assemble tacos by placing shredded cabbage in the bottom of the tortilla shell, topped with some pork, and topping that with some pineapple mint salsa and red salsa. Serve right away.