A soup of creole shrimps with bacon and cornmeal dumplings with cheddar cheese!
It’s been cold the previous few days which means I have been brooding about heating up bowls of soup like this shrimp and bacon creole soup with cheddar dumplings. A bowl of this soup warms you in two ways with the temperature of the soup and with the spicy heat of the Tabasco sauce is that the pure food in an exceeding bowl! The inspiration for this soup was a hearty bowl of creamy shrimp, usually more sort of a thick stew with rice, to which I added more broth and meatballs, but not just meatballs, bacon, and cheddar! Meatballs replace rice because they carbohydrate during this one-leg meal and are made by mixing a straightforward dough with flour, cornmeal, butter, buttermilk, and green onions together with the bacon and cheese, and also the dough is poured into the soup stock to be boiled into balls. This shrimp crouton soup is filled with flavor, but the bacon and cheddar cornmeal dumplings push it to the limit in goodness!
Shrimp Creole Soup with Bacon and Cheddar Dumplings
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes Servings: 6
A creole style shrimp soup with bacon and cheddar cornmeal dumplings!
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour (or rice flour)
- 4 cups chicken broth (or shrimp broth)
- 1 (28 ounces) can diced tomatoes (or 4 cups fresh tomatoes, diced)
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon TABASCO sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3/4 cup flour (or rice flour)
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or milk)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
- salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- Cook the bacon in a large saucepan until crispy and set aside.
- Add the onion, celery, and peppers to the saucepan and cook in the bacon grease over medium-high heat until tender and slightly golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the broth and deglaze the pan by scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon while the broth simmers.
- Add the remaining broth, the tomatoes, creole seasoning, bay leaves, TABASCO sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and fish sauce, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, butter, buttermilk, cheddar cheese, and green onions along with the reserved bacon and drop 1 tablespoon ‘balls’ of the dough into the soup before letting them cook for 10 minutes, flipping the dumplings and letting them cook another 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook until they just turn pink, about 3 minutes before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste and serving garnished with green onions.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 348, Fat 10.9g (Saturated 5.6g, Trans 0), Cholesterol 185mg, Sodium 829mg, Carbs 34g (Fiber 3.9g, Sugars 7.6g), Protein 27.8g