This Southwestern chicken tortilla and salad soup is a healthy and hearty meal. A great meal to serve in the great game to balance all the snacks and beer, or as a complete dinner of the week!
This is a sponsored conversation I wrote on behalf of Taylor Farms and Mission Produce. The opinions and text are mines.
Who likes the slow cooker? My favorite part is that you can throw all the ingredients in it, turn it on, and not have to worry about dinner for the rest of the day. That’s why I love that healthy slow cooker, the chicken tortilla soup. And not only is it super easy and convenient to make, but it’s also full of vegetables!
When Taylor Farms approached me with a soup and salad recipe, I couldn’t wait to try their different varieties of chopped salad. Taylor Farms’ chopped salad kits make a healthy meal in no time. They are available in a variety of flavors such as Asian, Greek, and Ranch BBQ. But I chose the Southwest Chopped Salad Kit because I knew it would go great with my slow cooker chicken tortilla soup.
In addition to all the other vegetables in this healthy chicken tortilla soup, I added a few handfuls of Taylor Farms Power Green Mix – a mixture of spinach and baby cabbage. It’s another way to incorporate your vegetables, and if you or your family hate vegetables, you won’t even notice them with all the other flavors in this soup.
Of course, nothing goes better with the flavors of the Southwest and Mexico than avocados. I knew that a rich, creamy avocado would be the perfect complement to my soup. So I seasoned my soup with Mission Avocats avocado slices and threw some on top of the salad to serve as a measure. I can’t get enough avocados these days. Not only are they delicious, but they are full of potassium and healthy fats. The creaminess of the avocado really complements the spicy acidity of the soup.
It would be the perfect main course to serve at a big game day party, along with all the other appetizers and drinks. Give your guests something nutritious to fill their stomachs without having to work all day in the kitchen. This chicken tortilla soup is as simple as throwing all the ingredients into the slow cooker in the morning and opening a bag of Taylor Farms Southwestern chopped salad.
Oh… and the ingredients! Don’t skip them, they make the soup! Mission Creamy Produces avocado, melted cheese, crispy tortillas, and a little bit of lime. Like it or not, prepare the cilantro for the final garnish and flavor.
If you are going to serve this at a party, I suggest you prepare a soup and salad bar for the guests to serve themselves. Arrange the soup, salad, and garnishes on individual plates. Then let the guests prepare their own bowls and dishes when they are hungry. This allows you to enjoy the game and not have to worry about serving everyone.
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Course: Soups/StewsCuisine: Mexican /Slow Cooker, Easy Recipes, Game Day, Weekend Dinners, Weeknight Dinners, Winter Recipes Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 8 hours Total Time: 8 hours 10 minutes Servings: 6 Servings Calories: 269kcal
For The Southwest Salad:
- Taylor Farms Southwest Chopped Salad
- Mission Avocados diced
For The Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- Taylor Farms Power Greens Mix baby spinach and baby kale
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1 onion diced
- 2 bell peppers any color, diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes 15.5 ounces
- 1 can fire-roasted chilies 4 ounces
- 1 can black beans 15 ounces, drained and rinsed
- 1 bag frozen corn kernels 16 ounces
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoons red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Mission Avocados sliced
- grated cheddar cheese
- crunchy tortilla strips
- lime wedges
- To make the soup, add all soup ingredients to the slow cooker EXCEPT the greens and lime juice. Stir to mix, heat on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, remove chicken and shred with a fork, then return to the crockpot, along with the greens and lime juice. Stir and allow to cook for about 5 more minutes, until greens are wilted but still bright green.
- Prepare southwest salad according to instructions, top with diced avocados.
- Serve soup in bowls topped with avocados, shredded cheese, tortilla strips, lime wedges, and if desired cilantro.
- Serve southwest chopped salad alongside soup.
Calories: 269kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 801mg | Potassium: 854mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2325IU | Vitamin C: 64.3mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 4.2mg