Creamy tortellini soup – My favorite soup on weeknights, prepared in just 30 minutes! It’s so easy, too. Full of tender tortellini, sausages, and kale!
But what I do know is that you have to take as much of this creamy tortellini soup as possible until the polar vortex passes.
That and all the crispy bread to absorb all that creamy sweetness.
CREAMY TORTELLINI SOUP
yield: 4-6 SERVINGS prep time: 15 MINUTES cook time: 15 MINUTES total time: 30 MINUTES
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casing removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated three cheese tortellini
- 1/2 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add Italian sausage and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Stir in garlic, onion, and Italian seasoning. Cook, stirring frequently until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in chicken stock and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tortellini; cover and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in kale until wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and basil until heated through, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately.